At-Tareeqah al-Muhammadiyyah wa al-Seerah al-Ahmadiyyah (al-Birkili) الطريقة المحمدية والسيرة الأحمدية للبركلي
A beautiful print of the Hanafi Imam Muhammad ibn Bir Ali al-Birkili's (d. 981 AH) classical work on islaah (reform) and irshaad (guidance). Published for the first time after review of four handwritten manuscripts by Muhammad Rahmatullah Hafidh Nadhim an-Nadwi, under the instruction of Shaykh Zuhayr ash-Shaaweesh.
Written as a guidebook, addressing anyone seeking to traverse the path to Allah's pleasure and the Hereafter.
Contains three main sections:
- Section 1: Regarding importance of holding on to the Book of Allah and the Sunnnah, abandoning bad practices and innovations, and having moderation in all affairs
- Section 2: Regarding matters of importance in the Shariah, i.e. correcting one's aqeedah, different sciences and their rulings, and taqwa.
- The section on taqwa forms the bulk of the book, where the author addresses each organ of the body: heart, tongue, ears, eyes, hands, stomach, and so on.
- He covers almost 60 diseases of the heart, with a section for each, as well as sixty sections on the various failings of the tongue.
- Section 3: Regarding matters that people often confuse for piety and taqwa, such as going into extremes regarding rulings of taharaah (purification) and falling for whisperings of shaytaan with regards to that, different bid'ahs, and so on.
Each section begins with listing of ayaat, hadith, and quotations from scholars of the past, followed by author's own commentary and discussion.
Very handy reference material for authors, speakers, khutbah preparation, and so on.
Allamah Abdul Hayy Lakhnawi said, "This book is amongst his most prominent writings, in which he meshed fiqhi discussions with matters of zuhd."
Copious footnotes provide references as well as explanations of words and passages in the text. Several indices are provided at the end.